Marketing Translation Services – website translation & localisation into other languages

Marketing translation service, website translation and localisation

Author and Date

Marketing Translation Services – website translation & localisation into other languages not just English

A Statistical Guide To The Most Popular Languages Spoken On The Internet. Language facts and figures at your fingertips

It’s easy to think that English is the lingua franca of the internet. While it does indeed hold the top spot for the most commonly used language in terms of landing pages (around 55% of the entire web, according to W3techs ), when we look at internet users by their first language, things appear quite different, which can have a huge effect on those requiring marketing translation.

So get your maths heads on and buckle up for a statistical journey around the world’s online language use!
Spotting emerging markets
It can be difficult to pinpoint accurate statistics, but the last known data from 2013 show that at just over 800m people, English speakers make up a slim majority of internet users at just 28%. Hot on its heels is Chinese speakers, at 23%, followed by Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese at 7.9%, 4.8% and 4.3% respectively. But these numbers are liable to change (and undoubtedly already have). Lots have been written about the latest emerging foreign markets, and we just need to take a closer look to spot some of the significant trends that are emerging from an ever-connected world. One of the most outstanding figures is that between 2000 and 2013, Arabic use has risen by a whopping 5,296%. In the same time frame, Russian rose by 2,721%. As for English… just 468%, and it’s predicted that in time, these proportions will dwindle even further. As more people gain easier access to the web, language use will inevitably grow and change, which is why it’s more important than ever to target foreign language speakers.
Foreign language use for e-commerce
A Eurobarometer study in 2011 showed 9 out of 10 European respondents, given the choice of a website in multiple languages, would always choose a website in their mother tongue. Only 55% said they would accept an alternative if it was only available in English. The remaining 45% represents a huge gap in the market for exporters who currently choose not to translate their e-commerce site. What’s more, the Common Sense Advisory’s ‘Can’t Read, Won’t Buy’ study showed 85% of internet users need information in their own language before making a purchase online. Over half of all Google searches are made in a language other than English. Simply put, monolingual businesses are losing new customers, sales and profit. Can you really afford to miss out?
Marketing translation experts
At Reflective Source, we can help you with your marketing translation. With a bank of over 2000 experienced translators, we make translating your e-commerce website easy. Whether you’re selling motors to Mexico or toys to Turkey, we have the right person for the job. Not only that, but our in-country native speakers can even give you advice on how to properly localise your website to make your site even more appealing to your new overseas customers. All you have to do is sit back and watch the new sales come rolling in. If you want to speak to us about marketing translation contact us today.